Sunday, 24 April 2011

Easter Weekend Gardening Extravaganza

I've been poorly for a few weeks, so haven't been able to get out in the garden at all. I'm really behind with my seed sowing, and things I did sow some weeks ago are suffering from not being potted-on.

Feeling a little better over this Bank Holiday weekend, I have made a concerted effort to get on with things again. So Good Friday morning I mowed and scarified the lawn...this nearly killed me, so I had to lie down for a few hours! In the evening I planted out my sweet pea seedlings, and potted on all my tomato seedlings. They look really tragic! I'm almost too embarrassed to show then to you. I tried giving them a seaweed feed last week, but it may be too little too late. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them.


 Saturday started with a trip to the Council tip. We were recycling loads of cardboard, but the rest of the world seems to have been cutting down dirty great trees and shrubs! I've never seen so many people chucking stuff into the green recycling hopper!!

Later in the afternoon, I did my favourite gardening thing - I sowed all my pumpkins and squashes - bliss!!
Here's the list:
Pumpkins - Aspen, Uchi Kuri, Ironbark, Rouge Etampes, Jurrah Dale, Sugar Pie
Squashes - Crown Prince (my personal favourite), Butternut 'Cobnut', Acorn, Hubbard Large Blue, Pink Banana, Rugosa Friulana, Quintale, Red Kuri, Golden Nugget, Golden Hubbard, Tonda Padana, Turks Turban, Serpente di Sicilia, Tromba d'Albenga, Harlequin.
Courgettes (no idea of the variety, they were given to me)

Hold on a second...That's 22 varieties...and I sowed 2 (sometimes 3) seeds of each variety...that's a lot of pumpkins and squashes if they all germinate!!



I also sowed:
French Beans - Climbing: 'A Grand Nero', 'Tigers Eye', 'Borlotti', and the brilliantly apt 'Lazy Housewife' (Thank you Zazen :-))
French Beans - Dwarf: 'The Prince', 'Sprite', 'Sweet Australian Purple'

There's a lot more French Beans to come, but this is a start at least!

Beetroot - 'Boltardy', 'Tondo Di Chioggia' and 'Detriot 2' (because I had a fairly rubbish germination from the lot I sowed several weeks ago), I did these into a cell tray a la Monty Don.

Achocha 'Fat Baby' - these were rubbish last year, but I thought I'd give them another chance.
Sunflower 'Giant Single',
Aubergine - 'Amethyst F1' and 'De Barbentane'
Tomatillo 'Verde Pueblo'

I also potted on all my Dahlia and Stock seedlings, and planted out 16 early strawberry plants which I bought at the Spring Show, donated by Karen to the Garden Society funds. Later in the evening it looked like it might rain, so I thought I'd try to aerate the lawn...do you know how difficult it is to do that when no two prongs on your garden fork point in the same direction!! Oh well, the thought was there.

Today is Easter Sunday, and I can't think of a better way of spending it than at Stone Green Nurseries at one of their open weekends. They really do grow super quality plants and most are around £5 for a big pot. I bought lots of herbaceous perennials, irises, alliums, phloxes, lavenders, a lovely white and pink clematis and three nice alpines that I shall plant up in a terracotta bowl for one of the Spring Show classes for next year. Here are my lovely acquisitions! Need a bit of a rest before I plant them out though.

No comments:

Post a Comment