Thursday, 7 July 2011

Collecting rainwater without the aid of a handy shed roof...

We've had our plot for four years now, and I've been writing this blog for 10 months, and it's just struck me that I haven't shared with you our super, homemade waterbutt.

'But surely a waterbutt is a waterbutt?' I hear you say.

Well, I hate to disagree with you, but no, that's not strictly true. For example, we are not allowed to have sheds on our allotments (for aesthetic reasons), so this makes it difficult to collect rainwater in the traditional way. I understand that this is a common problem on allotment sites across the country, and although we have running water on site, wrestling with hosepipes is nothing but a pain, and it's far too easy to decapitate plants accidentally!

Our answer to this problem is stunningly simple, and doesn't take up a lot of space (probably less than an actual waterbutt). Here it is...

(photo to follow soon - promise!)

Yup, its a wheeliebin!
We've stood it on some blocks, and fitted a waterbutt tap to the bottom (which involved MrPB lying inside!). We took the lid off, drilled some holes in it, turned it upsidedown and reattached it (with wire). The lid acts as a collecting device and directs the water into the bin below. I can either turn on the tap (when the nettles aren't in the way!), or lift the lid and dunk my watering can in the top!! I try not to water too much at the lottie, I like to grow things a bit 'hard', so on our small plot, there is always plenty in the reservoir to water new transplants or damp down seed drills.

No comments:

Post a Comment