Sunday, 3 July 2011

My mini allotment at home, and an excellent freebie from my dad

It seems so long since my last post, and I thought much hadn't happened, but there's been a flurry of activity in the garden just recently.

First, I had a problem to overcome...Last year a neighbour offered me some veg bed space, but I didn't take him up on it. At a barbeque recently, I broached the subject again, but unfortunately he hadn't any spare beds available for me. This was a BIG problem! The kitchen garden side of my garden isn't ready yet, I have grown more pumpkins and squashes than ever this year, and my brassicas (touch wood) appear to be doing really nicely. I definitely don't have enough bed space at the lottie for all these plants, and the other side of my garden is slowly filling up with flowers. Well, 'Be Prepared', 'Dunkirk Spirit' and all that, I had to find a Plan B, and here it is...my mini, at-home, allotment



I've got about 9 tomato plants, 3 courgettes, 2 gherkins (a gift from my best friend) and 12 pumpkins and squashes. My only wobble about this set up is that my growbags aren't peat-free. There are still a few cucurbits to got in at the allotment, 10 new gherkin seedlings of my own, (pathetic looking) sweetcorn and tonnes of brassicas, which are all waiting in the wings. Here are the brassicas...



I've also planted up my window baskets for the front of the house...



Using a selection of trailing petunias, trailing lobelia, ivy, geraniums, fuschias, busy lizzies and verbena, in my classic range of whites, purples, pinks and lilacs...I have spotted a rogue red verbena, but I can swap it with a spare one I have.

I did have a major disaster at 10pm last night. My hanging basket is currently sitting on a bucket in the back garden, where its been for a week since I planted it up. However, I thought it would be a jolly good idea to use said bucket to water my window baskets...I lifted up the hanging baskets, rested it on the wall of my raised bed...and watched helplessly as it landed head-first on the patio %*&&^@!!!! Here's the aftermath, and the best replanting job I could do at that time of night, in the dark!


 










In other news round the garden...

The viola 'Rebecca' are flowering their socks off...soooo pretty!












The Achocha are scambling up their wigwam, as are the two lots of climbing french beans in the longtom.














The Delphiniums have given way to the Dahlias and lavender in the back raised bed...



...and finally, my excellent freebie from my dad...it's my mother's old coldframe. It needs some new glass, and a bit of a brush off, but other than that, it's perfect! Roll on next spring, that's all I can say!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment