Monday, 11 July 2011

Summer Show 2011 Results

Well, despite being on the Gardeners' Society Committee, the Summer Show really crept up on me this year! I'd done very little prep for it which is never good. Friday evening was spent baking a coffee cake, bread rolls and cheesey red onion scones. I decided to leave everything else until the morning, which probably wasn't very clever, especially as I had entered a total of 22 classes!!

By the morning, it was clear that I wasn't going to have any sweetpeas, lillies, peas, broad beans, delphiniums, flowering plants in a pot not exceeding 12"diam, and a couple of other things that I hoped would be ready (or not completely over - like the delphiniums!).

It was a great show, competition was pretty hot, and one member walked away with 11 Firsts!! (not me I hasten to add). So how did I do? In reverse order:

2x Thirds: Cheesey Scones, and a Floral Art exhibit entitled 'Wedgewood' and arrangement in blues and whites.



6x Seconds: 5 Onions, Floating Flowers in a bowl, 3 Bread Rolls, 10 Raspberries, Hanging Container, and Floral Art 'Table Centrepiece'


























2x Firsts: 3 Carrots, and 10 Shallots.



Now, my 10 Shallots also won me Best Vegetable Entry in Show, and a Diploma in Horticultural Excellence from the Worshipful Company of Gardeners.

An excellent result, and I'm chuffed to bits. Although I don't 'Grow to Show', it really is worth all the effort involved in preparation.


No comments:

Post a Comment